    SubjectRe: Boot Logo Questions....
    ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:

    > Gavin David McNair <gavinm@jumper.mcc.ac.uk> writes:
    >
    > > in a world whre 99% of users use windows and have never heard of unix
    > > it is intimidating......
    >
    > > these users should be given a way of having a plain simple Linux OS rather
    > > than the sensible powerfull linux were used to.
    >
    > I didn't think I would follow up more on this thread.
    >
    > One of the reasons I like Linux so much better than Win* and most other
    > operating systems, is the fact that it doesn't try desperately to hide
    > and/or abbreviate error messages all the time. It was written by and
    > for the technically inclined, people who aren't scared of knowing what
    > IRQ their network card is using.

    I agree with you 100%
    This is why usability features at the sacrifice of verbosity should not
    be the "default"

    > This is why Linux was built, this is why so many extremely technically
    > competent people are using it extensively.

    Agreed.
    But Linux is technically superior and is free. This is why it also makes
    a good workstation os for joe user!
    It has potential to go mainstream and is making significant inroads. We
    have to help a little. The Gnome people are doing their part. New Apps
    are being written in gtk every few days. Mozilla will add to this. The
    kernel people can help a little bit also.

    > Perhaps this *is* harmful for the acceptance of Linux among the unwashed
    > masses, perhaps Linux should adopt Win* habit of reporting error
    > messages like "Your network doesn't work" or, for that matter, "Unknown
    > error". I don't think so. I think exposure to the technical verbosity
    > of Linux makes it - not simple, but at least straightforward - for users
    > to increase their knowledge and technical understanding.

    Once again. Agreed. I dont think Linux is excessively verbose. I'm just
    saying that firstly, dumbing down error messages should not be the
    default. (If at all!) What i am saying is that there is room to make
    Linux look better without sacrificing anything. (see my previous post).
    Again, ALL OF THESE things should not be the default.

    I think the best (default) role of Linux is a lean mean server machine.
    However, with a little effort it can be transformed into a decent
    workstation OS. Something we would not have recommended 1 year ago. Just
    today I converted a Windows95 DELL workstation into a Linux workstation
    running X/WindowMaker/Mozilla. T

    > I've seen this happen - people who got tired of certain other OSes
    > faults, installed Linux, and revelled in learning the ins and outs of
    > the system. People without a deep technical background.

    You dont need to know how an engine works to drive a car.
    But the car should be built to allow mechanics to work and tinker around
    with it properly.
    This is what the proponents of this whole eye-candy thing are saying.

    > I think that the more you try to hide complexity, the less people will
    > try to understand that complexity, and of course, the more tempting it
    > will be to sacrifice order, structure and cleanliness in design, in
    > order to make things even neater and prettier on the surface.

    joe user doesn't care if his ide uses irq 14.. he doesnt know what an
    "irck (irq)" is. It SCARES him. he comes running and emails
    support@voxel.net saying your machine says i have an "IRCK 14" but it
    scrolls to fast.

    I on the other hand want to know what going on with my hardware.

    > I think the "world domination - fast" slogan is misplaced, or at least
    > misinterpreted (implying universal and exclusive usage). The user
    > community with strong technical skills is in my opinion one of the major
    > strengths of Linux. It would be okay if Linux was adopted by the
    > millions who use other OSes on their desktops, but I doubt it would make
    > a great contribution to the OS quality or functionality.
    >
    > ~kzm

    I personally think that if Linux wants to grow it has to have a world
    domination fast attitute. I am sure alot of people will agree with me on
    this one. We cannot compete with the MS marketing machine.

    If on the other hand, you think linux is not a workstation OS.. then
    dont bother commenting. I know what your going to say