    SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)
    First, I do think we go back to the kernel issues, or we are
    INTRUDERS. I really not want to annoy someone who may concern.

    Second, a bad news that seems everyone has already known: M$ won
    the sue and M$ Windows 98 is to be published on time (the 15th may).
    It's really a, i.e., imbalance of marketing and has a coeffect
    which ties US government and M$ altogether, that, in the future
    the government would pay even greater effort to catch it and
    dispose. :<

    On Mon, 11 May 1998, Alex Belits wrote:

    > My definition of text file is a file that contains a stream of
    > characters that represent text, possibly separated into lines. MIME type
    > text/plain. Postscript files, executables and even images also contain
    > text, however some people see them as different type of files.

    Yes, by your definition, (ugly) MS Word document is a text file,
    which you seemed not agree with. However let's stop this discussion,
    'cause it's almost meaningless to Linux kernel. Text files and
    manipulations leaves in the user space.

    > > The fact of the matter is, people are using Unicode for storing and
    > > processing text.
    > Again, check, what is actually used and where. IETF "stnadardized" HTML
    > on Unicode, too.

    I don't think we can reach a local library. For sake of stupid M$
    users, National library in Taiwan uses Big5 encoding on their pages.
    However you may try telnet:// It's National library Taiwan
    provincial branch. There are Unicode book index.

    > > So will ext2fs --- not because Microsoft said so, but
    > > because it's the right thing.
    > Unicode is ugly and unusable, and despite your and IETF hypocricy, such
    > idiocy won't be used. I can speak only from my experience, and every
    > Russian-speaking programmer that I have seen, when asked if he is going to
    > use Unicode anywhere outside charset translator said that he won't do it
    > in any case.

    However I urge a complete internationalisation method. There must be
    one way, which Unicode is pointing now, or you may point another.
    Not only filenames but also terminals and text editors (even TeX),
    I hope them to support manipulating CJK and Cyrillics + Arabic + ...
    texts simutaneously. And to reach this goal, there must be some
    change in the kernel and in libc and in ext2fs, for an easier way
    for the compatibility. Or, there shall be a lot of mess of MULE
    documents, something made of TeX and requiring huge fonts, or
    some precompiled so that they're not-world-readable/reusable.
    And I need multilingual (multi-charset) filenames too. How do you
    think of sending some Japanese named files to my Japanese friend
    who cannot see/decode Chinese Big5 filenames? It's rough to use
    English filenames, 'cause that's not our native languages.

    After all, Unicode is, also in my experience, a can-do way. It may
    not be perfect, but it just reaches the point.

    However there is one thing come to my mind: if ext2fs is to use
    UTF-8 (or UCS-2, whatever), where in the kernel and in libc would
    be changed? How effective? Coeffects? I've read almost every messages
    but most of all are discussing "I agree" or "I don't agree" or "They're
    but a mess". That won't help.

    If there would be a vote, a 'yes' from a programme in China.

    .e'osai ko sarji la lojban. ==> Please support the logical language.
    co'o mi'e lindjy,min. ==> Goodbye, I'm Lin Zhe Min.
    Fingerprint20 = CE32 D237 02C0 FE31 FEA9 B858 DE8F AE2D D810 F2D9

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.023 / U:5.720 seconds]