SubjectRe: more Boot Logo thoughts
On Thu, 14 May 1998, Pat St. Jean wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Dwight Hubbard wrote:
> >Edward S. Marshall wrote:
> >> Has anyone given any thought to the idea of pulling kernel messages
> >> out of the kernel binary itself, and using numerical referencing for
> >> them instead, in an attempt to see how much space would be preserved in
> >> the final kernel image?
>
> >I like this, not only does it have the potential to make the kernel
> >smaller. It could make things much easier to support. If the kernel
> >just displayed the numeric code for the message instead of the message
> >itself, it is much easier to get a 6 or 8 digit numeric code from a
> >computer illiterate over the phone than it is to get them to read you an
> >exact error message off the screen.
>
> Not only that, but with a little stretching of this idea you could have
> native language error messages. Just make a lookup table. Compile in the
> one you want. Or maybe use insmod to change it on the fly. Whee!

BINGO. That's exactly what I was aiming at...internationalization of the
kernel would be almost trivial then.

--
Edward S. Marshall `-----------------------' http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/

Linux labyrinth 2.1.101 #2 SMP Sun May 10 22:34:20 GMT 1998 i586 unknown
12:05pm up 8 min, 1 user, load average: 1.16, 0.74, 0.35

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.056 / U:0.020 seconds]