    SubjectRe: boot images/logos/splashes (yet another idea)
    From
       From: Marnix Coppens <maco@telindus.be>

    As long as we don't use IBM's idea for AIX to show some 3-digit numbers
    on the LEDs to indicate the progress and possible errorcodes.
    "Hello, support ? My RS/6000 got stuck at number 204."

    Eh? Why not, at least as an add-on?
    I work on the IBM SP Support Line.
    Those numbers are a *godsend* to us, though I'd like to get boot
    messages like Linux uses as well. The combination would be wonderful.

    Typical conversation:
    "Hello, support? My node is hanging at 231"
    "Ok. Do you have an entry in /etc/bootptab for this node?"

    Conversation without numbers:
    "Hello, support? My node is hanging."
    "Ok, what's the last thing on the screen?"
    "Umm....it says something about sending and receiving packets."

    Much more room for error.
    Assuming they read the right line in the first place.
    With the LEDs, even a secretary who's been drafted cause the admin's
    out sick can give us the basic info we need.

    Shalon Wood

    Yes, I've had a secretary call.....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:8.800 seconds]