    SubjectRe: more Boot Logo thoughts
    Edward S. Marshall wrote:

    > I'm sure this has come up before, but I'll mention it anyway. :-)
    >
    > Has anyone given any thought to the idea of pulling kernel messages
    out of
    > the kernel binary itself, and using numerical referencing for them
    > instead, in an attempt to see how much space would be preserved in the

    > final kernel image?

    I like this, not only does it have the potential to make the kernel
    smaller. It
    could make things much easier to support. If the kernel just displayed
    the
    numeric code for the message instead of the message itself, it is much
    easier to
    get a 6 or 8 digit numeric code from a computer illiterate over the
    phone than it
    is to get them to read you an exact error message off the screen.

    --
    Dwight Hubbard (319) 295-1509 Rockwell-Collins
    System Administrator

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.022 / U:0.228 seconds]