SubjectRe: 2.1.99 sends ULTRIX death packets
On Fri, 1 May 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:30:27 +0200
> From: Pavel Machek <pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
>
> we want to know what linux's feature does it (so we have nice post
> to bugtraq) and
>
> we do not want to be *that* evil.
>
> We do want to be that evil if the bug is what I think it is, that
> Ultrix crashes when it encounters unknown TCP options, such as the
> rfc1323 and SACK stuff we implement these days.
>
> The one thing which can stop wide deployment of these necessary
> features is biting the bullet and by default disabling them, I refuse
> to do that in Linux 2.2's TCP.

It would be useless anyhow, this is a rather large list and this just
screams "exploit me". Fixing it from linux would only make the bug less
visable on the short term.

> The answer (again this is assuming that Ultrix is puking on the TCP
> option additions we have now, it may well not) is to leave it on by
> default, and tell people who have this problem to turn it off on their
> Linux machines via the sysctl mechanism. This will make everyone
> happy.
>
> We maybe should give Ultrix _some_ chance to fix bug before linuxes
> 2.1.99+ will be so common that their machines will be more down
> than up.
>
> Is Ultrix even maintained these days? Just curious...
>
> In any event I'm looking forward to tcpdump output from people who see
> this, so we can nail down what is happening.

Wonder how long unlill I see this as an alert im my email.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
irc admin centurion.starchat.net

gmack@imag.net
innerfire@starchat.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.044 / U:0.120 seconds]