    SubjectRe: Encrypted filesystem under Linux.

    On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

    > > Forgive me if this is a FAQ, however I did read through the FAQ and it
    > > seems a bit dated on the subject.
    > The VPN mini-howto at sunsite (which will hopefully be a full-blown HOWTO
    > soon, to be co-authored by yours truly). Is that the one your talking
    > about?

    Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant the FAQ for this mailing list.
    It mentions CFS, but that is rather dated.

    > > Are there plans to incorporate an encrypted file system into the kernel?
    > No, as with other forms of encryption, due to US government regulations..

    Pity that some countries (including my own) are so anal retentive on the
    subject. =P I was reading through part of the archive for this list and
    found some mention of using the loop device for encryption. Has that been

    > > If there isn't any "official" development planned, are there plans to
    > > incorporate something like TCFS?
    > Yes, TCFS is currently implemented (to what degree, I'm not sure). You
    > can find it at You can find CIPE at

    It would seem that I'll have to go with TCFS then. =)

    > You can also find a few good RPMs at, which is outside the
    > US.

    Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

    - --
    Kevin Nikiforuk

    Version: 2.6.2
    Comment: Processed by mkpgp2.1, a Pine/PGP interface.

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.021 / U:41.128 seconds]