SubjectRe: 2.1.94 still locks up hard after a few minutes

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> In case there is a fix that you were trying in 2.1.94, I
> I must report that this problem persists in 2.1.94. I can also
> confirm that the problem occurs within about five minutes of
> booting even if I do not start X windows. I hope this
> data point is helpful.

2.1.94 does not even try to fix this problem: it definitely _is_ a real
problem, and I can reproduce it myself but not nearly as easily as you
seem to be able to (I have to run some fairly big things overnight, and
then the machine tends to be dead in the morning).

This bug is definitely due to the changes in device locking. The machine
doesn't actually really die, and the system works fine _except_ that all
IO to a certain controller will block forever (which, when the disk is
your main filesystem, will obviously appear as a complete lockup).

You can see it by noticing that the machine still answers to the network,
and running programs will actually continue to run (unless they need to do
any IO), but yes, the machine is pretty dead. At least that's the symptoms
I see.

We can revert to the pre-93 bevaiour, but I'll try a few other things
first. pre-93 definitely isn't perfect either in this regard, it's just a
lot harder to trigger.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.108 / U:0.148 seconds]