    SubjectRe: 2.1.93 won't boot
    On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Steven Ireland wrote:

    > I've rebuilt 2.1.93 as a UP kernel and it boots.
    >
    > I noticed someone else reported their display flashed strangely during the
    > reboot. My ISA VGA card displays columns of random characters during the reboot.
    >
    > Hope this helps. If you want me to try any patches just send them to me.

    I think you might be seeing an artifact of the reset process. Folks have
    posted that commenting out the SMP=1 on uniprocessor systems in the top
    level Makefile (just like the Makefile SAYS to do, BTW) seems to correct
    this problem.

    I have done this along with an undef of the serial console echo stuf
    and am remaking a new test kernel as this is being typed.

    George Bonser
    Just be thankful that Open Group does not own Linux.
    http://www.debian.org

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.019 / U:91.392 seconds]