SubjectRe: WLinux -> Subverting Windows by making Linux available to MS users
Date
> On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
> > WLinux however can be done fairly easily and would provide complete
> > functionality for both Win95/NT AND Linux binaries simultaneously.
> Nope. Important features of Linux include:
> - stability. WLinux can by definition be only more or equal instable
> than the host.
> - performance. WLinux can also only be slower or equal than the host.
> Andreas

To me, those are characteristics, not features.

Features are binary compatibility, system calls, OS services, device
drivers, etc. No matter how stable Wine, Wabi, or Dosemu are compared
to Win95, they aren't viable as an alternative to Win95 until they are
Win32/Win95 feature complete. Since it's taken so long, and since
Win95 is such a huge hackfest with one of the fattest OS interfaces
imaginable, I've begun to lose hope that the emulations will be viable
soon enough to make any difference in the OS wars.

Just because I might run Linux on a 20 Mhz 386 with no cache, 4 MB
ram, faulty motherboard, and a faulty 80ms HD doesn't mean it has
fewer features than the same version of Linux on a modern PC...

The fact is, I need both Linux and Win95 for a desktop PC, no matter
how much I dislike it. I can run two boxes to get this effect, but
that's not viable for everyone. This is what WLinux solves.

I AM mindful of Pick and I Don't want to turn Linux into such an
'application only' environment. I simply want Linux to be available
everywhere in as many unstoppable ways as possible.

sdw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.146 / U:0.112 seconds]