SubjectRe: We're crashing too - 2.0.33 w/ 2.0.34pre2 patches
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Christophe Dupre wrote:

> > On 1998-04-06, Donald Ball <balld@webslingerZ.com> wrote:

[Hm. The below wasn't Donald, it was me.]

> > You mentioned that this machine has both an Adaptec 2xxx and a 3Com
> > 3c905 card. I (and many others) have had problems with unexplained
> > lockups on machines (running a variety of 2.x.x kernels) with these
> > cards, especially when used together. For most of us, dumping these
> > cards seems to have taken care of the problem. Most of these boxes
> > were SMP, but a good number were UNI as well.

> Not so for me: I've been running with a 3C905 and an AHA-2940UW for
> many month now, going SMP three months ago, with no lockup whatsover.
> I'm at 2.0.34pre5 now, was at 2.0.34pre2 before that, and 2.0.33 even
> before. I'm using the 5.0.x aic7xxx driver, as well as the 0.49
> version of the 3Com driver.

Count yourself lucky ;)
Actually there are probably more happy AHA+3Com users/systems than unhappy.

I've still got a couple of SMP PPros w/Adaptec 2940's which have been
rock-solid since day one, a year next week (each has been rebooted
probably three times in the past year, each time deliberately). And
a UNI box that's got one of the first 3Com 905s sold, I think, that's
been rebooted probably twice in the past year. If it ain't broke, don't
fix it.

But then, I've had a good dozen systems, large and small, suffer as I
described above, as have many others (check the linux-kernel and/or
linux-smp archives). I think the motherboard in the box is a heavily
contributing factor, as is the firmware levels on the cards. IIRC the
problem stems from the 3c595/905 and the Adaptec cards both liking to do
IRQ sharing, which should be possible and safe, but the way they do it
has problems on some mobos. I don't think it's just a Linux thing;
various people have had the same problems on NT. But of course, YMMV...

Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.039 / U:0.376 seconds]