SubjectRe: SUMMARY: GGI/X : the other way??
Date
> An fb device would solve this, but as linux didn't have a revoke syscall I
> never sent my DGA compatible /dev/fb to linus. The security issues of a
> publically readable /dev/fb are very compicated (I would like to know how
> ggi has tried to get round them).

Not cleanly. Its worse than this btw. The BSD revoke() doesnt revoke
existing mmap()'s. This leaves a gaping hole here and in the sound drivers

Please don't advertise that too far. CERT are aware of it and it seems
to open holes all over the place (snooping with camera interfaces etc)

> As the XFree96 4.0 drivers will be modular it could link them in, but we get
> back to the "must be root" problems. But if you are going to use a lot of
> accelarated stuff, it is probably better staying in X and using MIT shmem.
> X is already optimized for the cards accelarate features..

X is desperately lacking in several game areas

o Hardware scale image
o Hardware format convert (this hits video badly too)
o Secondary surfaces

[You'd be suprised how many games folk use the secondary surface for
video footage or the scrolling backdrops if its available]

> Yes I think fbcon has all that is needed.

Good news item btw: fbcon+KGI video drivers is now sort of working.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.073 / U:0.368 seconds]