SubjectNFS in 2.1.x: problems with setuid programs

I'm trying to run the 2.1.89-VGER-CVS980313 on my Red Hat 4.2 based
Sparc Station 20, and I'm having some problems with NFS and xterm:

We use root_squashed, NFS mounted home directories here. xterm is
setuid, so it can change ownership on pty's.

When I try to run an xterm on my machine, it fails to authenticate
with the X server, I assume this is because it can't read the
.Xauthority file in the users home directory. I am using the same
xterm binary that I used with the 2.0.30 kernel. If I take the setuid
bit off, it can connect to the display (but I loose security on the
pty).

I assume this is because of some change in the semantics of the nfs
filesystem in the kernel, with regards to how it deals with uid and
euid.

Has this been fixed in more recent kernels? Is anyone else
experiencing this problem?

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.084 / U:0.108 seconds]