SubjectRe: ttyS1 hangs, cua1 works fine
tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> From: gert@greenie.muc.de (Gert Doering)
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:47:19 +0200 (MEST)
>
> Ted, what do you think about automatically resetting the port to "CLOCAL
> defaults to 'set'" after the last close()? Does POSIX say anything about
> the default values of the c_cflag termios flags?
>
> POSIX says nothing about the default values of the c_cflag termios
> flags. Setting CLOCAL after the last close is a possibility; I can
> imagine people asking the question of "why CLOCAL and not with other
> flags", and the ability to set termios flags from the shell with
> intervening periods where the port isn't open is a nice feature to
> keep. So it's a possibility, but my preferred solution is to add new
> functionality to stty to make it easier to set the termios flags, even
> when CLOCAL is clear.

The answer to that question is rather easy and conclusive:

If CLOCAL is not reset, then nobody can even run stty(1) to fix it.
So long as CLOCAL has been reset, any other flags can be fixed
using stty(1).

Changing the syntax/invocation of stty(1) is probably not the best
way to address this issue -- there are going to be a million+ confused
people when 2.2 hits the streets.

-ml

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.155 / U:0.324 seconds]