    SubjectRe: Lost keypresses [was Re: GGI and cli/sti in X]
    In article <>,
    Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> wrote:
    >Dirk H. Hohndel writes:

    >> On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

    >> > I've faith in the XFree team, but Im very worried about what happens as
    >> > XFree/Opengroup diverge or if Opengroup try and force in extensions to their
    >> > code to make it hard for XFree and 'official' X to work together. I also
    >> > know that if the XFree folks didnt do what the majority wanted there would
    >> > be a new XFree. Given the folks in charge I also doubt such a thing would
    >> > occur.
    >> We are talking to The Opengroup about several possible alteratives. Given
    >> how fresh this announcement is, there obviously is no solution yet, but
    >> there will be a solution and after that we will announce that solution.
    >> I hope people can understand that this is a somewhat logical ordering of
    >> events...
    >Let's hope something reasonable will be agreed to. The worst case is
    >that XFree86 can't include X11R6.4 code because the OpenGroup license
    >would taint the XFree86 one. That would mean divergence, which we want
    >to avoid.

    Not necessarily. If the Open Group rilly rilly wants to slice their
    throats wide open, is it *really* worth the effort to make it a mass
    suicide? This is probably a good point for the people at the XFree
    project to go their own way. Since Linux does seem to be the most
    popular non-windows operating system now, what's to lose, aside from
    an early grave?

    david parsons \bi/ I really like the `.htm' vote of confidence for Unix.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.039 / U:11.756 seconds]