SubjectRe: Detecting media insertion
This has been brought up many times before...
There is no way that you can detect media insertion/eject with standard
hardware.
Windows works by polling the device every few seconds which obviously
increases the load on the system.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh