    SubjectRe: 86_capability flags
    On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 10:30:03AM +0200, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:
    > Since I couldn't find anything up to date, I'm fully documenting /proc/
    > just to keep myself entertained ;) Could someone describe me what these
    > flags mean?
    > vme ???

    Virtual-8086 Mode Extensions.

    > de ???

    Debugging Extensions.

    > pse ???

    Page Size Extensions. Supports 4MB pages.

    > tsc ???

    Time Stamp Counter. Supports RDTSC (read time stamp counter) and
    controlling access to this instruction.

    > msr ???

    Supports Model Specific Registers and the RDMSR (read model-specific
    register) instruction.

    > pae ???

    Physical Address Extension. Enables paging of 36-bit physical memory.

    > mce ???

    Machine Check Exception. It is possible to enable a machine check.

    > cx8 ???

    Supports the cmpxchg8b (compare and exchange 8 bytes).

    > sep ???

    This is reserved in my ppro manual

    > mtrr ???

    Have Memory Type Range Register. These can be used to set cache
    behaviour on a part of the physical memory. Lots of MTRR can be
    defined (on ppro, 96).

    > pge ???

    Page Global Enable. Makes it possible to mark pages so that they are
    not flushed on a task switch.

    > cmov ???
    > fcmov ???

    Conditional Move and Floating point Conditional Move. Introduced in

    > osfxsr ???

    dunno, reserved on ppro.

    > amd3d ???

    AMD 3d instruction extension? (AMD MMX?)

    Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.021 / U:24.684 seconds]