    SubjectRe: Mach syscalls on Linux/Alpha.

    On 5 Apr 1998, Josip Gracin wrote:

    > Under Mach, a user level task has the ability to set up his own system
    > call vector table so that when a thread executes a system call, Mach
    > redirects that call back to the appropriate routine in the task (to be
    > precise, in one of task's threads). Of course, the syscalls that Mach
    > internally uses cannot be redirected but there are not many of those.
    >
    > So, I could be that syscall -33 is not the Mach's syscall, but it is
    > emulated by a server.

    I think that server redirection was introduced as part of the
    microkernelization of Mach, ie in Mach 3.0. OSF/1 is based on Mach 2.5 or
    something like that, and I'd expect that the 2.x series of Mach had the
    simpler "traditional" kind of system calls.

    But no, I don't know Mach very well at all (the only version I've ever
    looked at was 3.0-based, and I didn't look all that much).

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.019 / U:31.244 seconds]