SubjectRe: 2.1.91pre2 stable? More data.

First, apologies if you've seen this already. I had sent it from a
customer's site which was having net problems. I'm sending again as
I've not seen this on the mailing list or gotten an acknowledgement.

On Sun, Mar 29, 1998 at 12:14:53PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Could you please pinpoint which release this started in, that would
> certainly help a _lot_. By using a reasonable binary-search kind of
> algorithm it shouldn't take all that long if you can indeed reproduce it
> fairly easily and reliably.

silence is not an indication that everything is now working. 2.1.92
also has the dead process problem.

In 16 tests where processes die, the only thing I noticed in common
was the face that in every case I still had memory and swap free but
had over 40 processes running. I think there might have been more
that terminated normally but top always showed 40 running when there
was a dead one.

BTW, On this machine I have 128M memory and 249M of swap (a separate
drive) to start. (One of the machines which also shows the problem
has 512M and 1.2G of swap on it's own drive.)

Does this help? Where do I go from here. I'd really like to know
what's causing this and get my systems back.

-bb