SubjectRe: WLinux, kinda [OFFTOPIC] comment
Date
The major difference between the WLinux idea and GNU-Win32 (which I
really like BTW) is that the latter is a library/service layer and
requires recompilation, while the former can run 'off the shelf' Linux
binaries (for the same CPU of course). This is a BIG difference.

As a comparison, there are many libraries that allow you to recompile
Windows apps for Unix, but you don't see many apps ported with it.

This is a way for one OS to coexist with another with only the devices
emulated when needed.

sdw

> The WLinux already (kind of) exists- its called GNU-Win32 by Cygnus Solutions -
> http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/
> It is a GPL'd, fully POSIX compliant version of GNU tools that runs under 95
> and NT, including bash, gcc, etc. Just about any UNIX program should compile
> under it, though it is still in beta. It did result in the first
> implementation of Kerberos under NT, for instance. It's probably not worth the
> time to develop WLinux when this is available, even though it doesn't run linux
> binaries. But a linux binary loader in conjunction with gnu-win32 would work
> nicely.......
>
> Joe Malicki
>
> Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:
>
> > > The WLinux idea (high level):
> > >
> > > Create a configuration and distribution of Linux that will run 'under'
> > > Win95 and WinNT using virtual device stubs to access native device
> >
> > Sounds like a decent idea but.. Have you taken into account the fact that
> > when windows crashes (heh) so will WLinux? Besides, call me paranoid if
> > you want, but if you give problems to Gates be sure he'll find a way to
> > either buy it or make it useless with some new feature that is needed
> > for windows to work and that renders WLinux unoperative.
> >
> > Let's face it, if all keeps going the way it's going now, we'll soon see
> > how microsoft really dominates the pc scene both in the software and
> > hardware layer, and as stated in linux-kernel before, linux users will
> > have to use sucky win98 stuff, use alternative (and prolly low
> > performance) hardware or move to some other architecture.
> >
> > If ms can scare OEMs enough so they keep installing IE, or to keep silence
> > of why they don't install it, and with all that win98/pc99 rumours
> > floating around, why don't you think we are about to say bye to our x86?
> >
> > - "Hey look, this new card is for windows and only $xx!"
> > - "Yes, but it's braindead and will hurt your performance. Take that one
> > over there. Besides, it's not an ope.."
> > - "Why that one?"
> > - "Because it's better, sinc.."
> > - "But I can do the same with this one, it's cheaper, and its for windows!"
> >
> > Just because windows has such a big share of the OS market, in who do you
> > think manufacturers will focus? Joe Winloser, or Joe Linuxer? With who do
> > you feel they will make more money?
> >
> > Of course, it might result in people buying more, say, alphas, and the
> > price of those alphas going doooown even more so the price/performance
> > ratio is quite more competitive and incentivates people to buy. Me? Nobody
> > is going to force me to use such $%^# hardware (and by extension, only
> > what Gates wants me to run), and I hope there are more people out of there
> > with the same opinion.
> >
> > *sigh* Long Live Linux! :) .. and sorry for the rambling.
> >
> > ____/| Ragnar Hojland (tech.support@redestb.es) [LLL] Fingerprint 94C4B
> > \ o.O| 2F0D27DE025BE2302C
> > =(_)= "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer for 104B78C56 B72F0822
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.046 / U:0.204 seconds]