    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.92 - Feature Freeze
    In article <linux.kernel.6g4c2r$jii$>,
    H. Peter Anvin <> wrote:
    >Followup to: <>
    >By author: <>
    >In newsgroup:
    >> People need enough PnP to be able to boot from a PNP ISA device without
    >> relying on initrd tricks. (Yes, ISA PNP is both an abomination and an
    >> oxy moron)
    >Why is that? initrd is an excellent and very general mechanism.
    >There seems to be a lot of resistance to using it;

    I suspect a lot of that is because of the documentation for it.

    I do what is basically an initrd as part of the Mastodon
    distribution, but instead of setting up an initrd, I just do all the
    steps by hand and leave the user with a system that contains a 1.4mb
    black hole that used to contain the ramdisk.

    I've looked at the documentation in Documentation/initrd.txt, but
    then my head starts hurting and I start looking around for a way to
    do BIOS floppy access instead. I admit that it just may be that
    I'm old and resistant to change (libc 5.0.9, anyone?), but I have
    been working on Unix systems for over 20 years now and, if the
    documentation is too esoteric for me, it may be too esoteric for
    other people as well.

    david parsons \bi/ Old, in computer years.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:35.692 seconds]