    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.92 - Feature Freeze
    Date
    In article <linux.kernel.6g4c2r$jii$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
    H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
    >Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980403225030.22074A-100000@nightshade.ml.org>
    >By author: <linker@nightshade.ml.org>
    >In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    >>
    >> People need enough PnP to be able to boot from a PNP ISA device without
    >> relying on initrd tricks. (Yes, ISA PNP is both an abomination and an
    >> oxy moron)
    >>

    >Why is that? initrd is an excellent and very general mechanism.
    >There seems to be a lot of resistance to using it;

    I suspect a lot of that is because of the documentation for it.

    I do what is basically an initrd as part of the Mastodon
    distribution, but instead of setting up an initrd, I just do all the
    steps by hand and leave the user with a system that contains a 1.4mb
    black hole that used to contain the ramdisk.

    I've looked at the documentation in Documentation/initrd.txt, but
    then my head starts hurting and I start looking around for a way to
    do BIOS floppy access instead. I admit that it just may be that
    I'm old and resistant to change (libc 5.0.9, anyone?), but I have
    been working on Unix systems for over 20 years now and, if the
    documentation is too esoteric for me, it may be too esoteric for
    other people as well.

    ____
    david parsons \bi/ Old, in computer years.
    \/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:29.832 seconds]