SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> > > Yes, unfortunately you don't get to choose what the manufacturers
> > > make. If you can't buy anything but "shitty cards designed for Windows
> > > 98", what are you going to do? Trade in for an abacus?
> > No, I'll sell my PC and buy some decent Alpha machine (or whatever there will
> > be running Linux). I hope this world has enough common sense to defend itself
> > from the braindamage of Micro$oft...
>
> I expect most Linux users will stay with Intel CPUs. There is a price
> imperative for a lot of people...
The Alpha machines are not THAT expensive (relatively, of course). A The
Microway "Screamer 533", 533MHz, 4.3GB Seagate Barracuda UW-SCSI, 8x IDE
CD-ROM, 2MB Matrox Millenium, Adaptec 2940 UW-SCSI, 128MB RAM, 2MB SRAM cache,
4 PCI slots and 2 ISA slots costs $2,995 US (see The Linux Journal, Jan 1998,
p.44). For such a machine the price isn't that high - and I daresay it will
get lower with time.

> Also, have you noticed that workstation vendors are coming out with
> PCI buses? Alphas already use it. SGI have it as a peripheral bus for
Yes - and that's a good sign.

> So I expect PCI will become even more popular. In a few years you may
> find that the graphics card market only has two options:
>
> 1) "shitty cards designed for Windows 98"
I really don't think so. The PC (be it Alpha or Intel or whatever) hardware
will get cheaper and even more affordable - and not all of this hardware will
run Windows 98 - especially not the Alphas. And I doubt that they will use
only the high-end video hardware, and that's just because not everyone (or,
perhaps better, not so many people) need such sophisticated graphics.

> 2) high-end graphics/visualisation which costs more than the average
> family car, and specifially costs more than *you* can afford.

I don't think that this scenario will ever happen. The world isn't black and
white, you can always stay halfway between two points. What you said suggests
that WIndows will totally overtake the PC market - then why bother with Linux
I ask?

> "M$: where can you afford to go today?"
"M$: where is it gonna blow today?" - that WON'T change!

later, marek
---
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you
don't think.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.096 / U:0.732 seconds]