    SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
    Marek Habersack writes:
    > On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
    >
    > > Alan Cox writes:
    > > > [Content free flamewar parts of message ruthlessly edited] (most of them)
    > >
    > > :-)
    > ;-)))))))

    > > > Then you won't have a PC fairly soon. Nobody needs text mode, people are
    > > > starting to emulate it by default and Linux has a fine frame buffer console
    > > > without KGI/GGI getting much involved. If you want to support Japanese on
    > > > the console I suspect it will also be somewhat useful (text mode is a bit
    > > > small in fonts).
    > >
    > > Yes, unfortunately you don't get to choose what the manufacturers
    > > make. If you can't buy anything but "shitty cards designed for Windows
    > > 98", what are you going to do? Trade in for an abacus?
    > No, I'll sell my PC and buy some decent Alpha machine (or whatever there will
    > be running Linux). I hope this world has enough common sense to defend itself
    > from the braindamage of Micro$oft...

    I expect most Linux users will stay with Intel CPUs. There is a price
    imperative for a lot of people...
    Also, have you noticed that workstation vendors are coming out with
    PCI buses? Alphas already use it. SGI have it as a peripheral bus for
    cheap 3rd party hardware. Sun look like they're finally ditching SBus
    (yay!) and have gone to PCI for the Ultra 5 and newer machines.

    So I expect PCI will become even more popular. In a few years you may
    find that the graphics card market only has two options:

    1) "shitty cards designed for Windows 98"

    2) high-end graphics/visualisation which costs more than the average
    family car, and specifially costs more than *you* can afford.

    "M$: where can you afford to go today?"

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.022 / U:29.524 seconds]