    SubjectRe: 2.1.91 swap performance: jerky.

    On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Itai Nahshon wrote:

    > The idea sounds right, I have questions regarding limitation on
    > current implementation:
    > 1. If something is swapped out but the pages that it occupied
    > never used later, will it have to be paged-in from disk or can
    > the copy in memory be reused without any farter io?

    If the page is never used again, it will never be paged in: an exit of the
    process will just free up the page on disk, and a "fork()" will duplicate
    the pointer to the disk rather than page it in in order to duplicate it.

    > 2. Do the background swapper compete with interactive processes
    > on the disk bandwith?

    Yes. This is obviously a concern, but hopefully the background swapper is
    never _too_ aggressive, ie it shouldn't be aggressive enough for this to
    be a real issue.

    The parameters may need more tweaking, and there may be some other minor
    changes in the air, but on the whole the basics should be there now.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.033 / U:4.068 seconds]