SubjectRe: Update to the /dev/random driver
On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 12:47:31PM -0400, tytso@mit.edu wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been working on a number of updates to the /dev/random
> driver, making it faster, lower-overhead, and smaller. As a bonus, the
> algorithms that it uses to mix in the entropy have been improved, too.
> Most of the improvements are courtesy of Colin Plumb. (Thanks, Colin!)
>
> One of the changes included here is an improved SYN cookie
> algorithm. Since I don't use SYN cookies, I'm sending out these patches
> asking for some folks who do use them to try out these patches, and
> report to me before I ask Linus to include into the kernel. I'd
> appreciate hearing both positive and negative reports if you try these
> patches.

Hi, do you know how much get_random_bytes has improved? I implemented
random pids in an earlier patch and it was a bit slow (not a lot, but
a bit ;). Also, will it improve performance if I read a number of
bytes >2 and have a few bytes of "cache" in the allocate_pid routine
or is this done internally in the random driver?

astor

--
Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
http://www.guardian.no/