       Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:13:09 +0200
    From: Alexander Kjeldaas <>

    Hi, do you know how much get_random_bytes has improved? I implemented
    random pids in an earlier patch and it was a bit slow (not a lot, but
    a bit ;). Also, will it improve performance if I read a number of
    bytes >2 and have a few bytes of "cache" in the allocate_pid routine
    or is this done internally in the random driver?

    It's a little faster, but the speed is still dominating by the crypto
    hash function. There have been some minor tweaks to make it faster, but
    nothing major. You can change the define for SHA_CODE_SIZE if you want
    to make it up to twice at fast, at the cost of making the SHA crypto
    approximately 5-6k bigger, if I remember the expansion size correctly.

    "Cacheing" some random bytes will help, as we don't do this internally
    in the random driver today.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.018 / U:43.748 seconds]