SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
Geert Uytterhoeven writes:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > I expect most Linux users will stay with Intel CPUs. There is a price
> > imperative for a lot of people...
>
> Complete 533 MHz Alpha systems (excl. monitor) can be bought for
> 1500 USD these days.

Yes, but you can buy an Intel system for under US$1000, including
cheap monitor. There are plenty of people who will trade off
performance in order to get the cheapest hardware available. Not all
of us are thirsty for power (compute power, that is:-).

> > Also, have you noticed that workstation vendors are coming out with
> > PCI buses? Alphas already use it. SGI have it as a peripheral bus for
> > cheap 3rd party hardware. Sun look like they're finally ditching SBus
> > (yay!) and have gone to PCI for the Ultra 5 and newer machines.
>
> Right. But even PCI video boards on the Ultra 5 must be supported through Open
> Firmware. And guess what, Open Firmware uses a graphical console, not text
> mode.

Yep. If the M$ market moves to graphics-only video cards, Linux users
will be forced to do the same. People who say they won't buy "crappy
win98 hardware" are going to find their choices limited.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.090 / U:0.276 seconds]