    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.92 - Feature Freeze

    Hello Linus, hello kernel-gang!

    Whoever made the CONFIG_SERIAL_ECHO define a non-option might not have
    thought things through: A lot of people have communications gear on their
    serial ports (especially with the DEC UDB or Multi - there you need to have
    a special split-cable to split the two serial lines. Unless you have one,
    you can only use ttyS0), which will go bananas when the kernel (or MILO for
    that matter) starts to feed it with console messages. This will surely
    generate a lot of "bug reports". My suggestion is to make this configurable
    again, most likely in the kernel hacking section.

    But why is this needed anyway? The serial console implementation will
    happily take care of serial echoing. From the docs it looks like a kernel
    command line like
    "console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0"
    will do exactly the same (Miquel please correct me if i am wrong), without
    need of recompilation if the serial console code is included.

    Yours,
    Dominik Kubla
    --
    "Waga hoshi wa doko ni tabine ya ama-no-gawa."
    In the Summer Evening, Where is My Star Hidden in the Milky Way?