Subject2.1.98 Netscape hangs and more

Netscape shows the very same hangs in 2.1.98 as in 2.1.96. It stops
even repainting it's window. This happens usually during the
'Contacting ...' stage, takes about 3-5 minutes and results in some
weird message, like 'document contains no data' or 'connection
failed'. Next attempt to connect to the same location succeeds.

Again about the configuration:

- linux/i386 2.1.98, no SMP
- RedHat Linux 5.0
- ppp 2.3.3-2

Apart from that, a stupid question:

I was developing a toy filesystem module for 2.1.96 and was quite
surprised to notice, that if I register a filesystem with a NULL
read_super method and then I try to mount something using this FS, I
get a kernel oops on NULL dereferencing. The next time I try to mount,
the mount command hangs hard, so I cannot kill it at all.

Shouldn't there be some kind of sanity check? If yes, I'll submit a
patch...

Yet another stupid question: is anybody working on VideoCD support? If
yes, I'd like to join (not sure I'm prepared to do it on my own)

Regards,

--
Alexander L. Belikoff
Bloomberg LP / BFM Financial Research Ltd.