SubjectRe: (PLEASE READ THIS) Re: weird 3c590 problems

I'm running 2.0.34pre11b right now and it includes the lastest driver from
Becker.. Are you saying I should copy the 3x59x.c (v.49H I think) from
kernel 2.1.98?

-Paul

P.S. The problem with the adaptor failing a sleep was fixed... I setup the
BIOS to put my monitor into suspend mode after one hour... I didn't
realize at the time that the rest of the computer would also be dozing
off... (I thought it was the kernel because I upgraded at the same time I
changed the BIOS)

The speed realated problems are definately still a problem... playing
mp3s often skips now -- they never have before. Nothing has changed on
the win95 client computer, winamp buffering, etc..

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:58:18 +0100 (BST)
> From: Mike <mike@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk>
>
> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Paul Miller wrote:
>
> > I'm using kernel 2.0.32 with the Vortex 3c59x.c:v0.99 4/7/98 by Donald
> > Becker Linux driver. The only other patches are ipportfw and
> > cyrix-support-2.
>
> I had one person who had horrible network performance, and the culprit
> was thought to be TCP, so I worked with this person for a few weeks
> straight analyzing his network topology and analyzing megabytes of
> tcpdump output from connections to various places.
>
> Suddenly one day, all his performance problems went away. I asked him
> to try and figure out what changes were made to the kernel between
> that last 2.1.9x he tried and the one he was trying now where the bugs
> had disappeared.
>
> Turns out he was in "the habit" of just plucking the latest Becker
> 3c59x driver into the 2.1.x source tree, but this time he _forgot_ to
> do it.
>
> So I urge people to do their testing with the drivers which are in the
> 2.1.9x tree when they see problems, if this is a possibility. It is
> much easier to track down bugs if you haven't added other pieces of
> code and patches to the vanilla sources.
>
> Later,
> David S. Miller
> davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.074 / U:0.828 seconds]