SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.98.. - kmod
On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Hmm. Not so fast... With 2.1.98 + daemonless kmod I'm seeing some
> strangeness during init and shutdown. Between the time that the first
> module is loaded by kmod and the appearance of the login prompt, all
> syslog and screen output is missing in action. Ditto on shutdown; no
> screen output or logging after 'nfsd stop'.
Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to be attributing incorrect information. My

> I've isolated this to the daemonless-kmod patch, and it's 100% repeatable
> on a 6x86 box here. To make matters worse, my 486/100 box (with the same
> kernel and patch level) refuses to run rpc.mountd during init. If I
> start it by hand afterwards, all is well. When I put 'echo ..' statements
> into the init script, nothing appears!

Couple of things: I noticed that Adam added the '-s' option to the
modprobe command line, which logs data to syslog. Maybe something is
going wrong with this. Other possibility - I remember when testing my
kmod alterations that there were some odd occasional memory corruptions.
This was manifested by GPM registering mouse movements that I didn't make,
and failure of sh scripts that I know are correct. Try inserting some
dummy code into kmod and see if that changes the misbehavior. If it does,
we may have some (un?)-related memory trashing. You're using gcc,
not egcs or gcc2.8, right?

Other thing - did the exact same setup work for 2.1.97 with Adam's patch?
Only because the patch is exactly the same. There might be breakage
elsewhere in the kernel.

Good luck testing,

> So, something's still not quite right. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
> This one's got me stumped.
> Steve

Greg Zornetzer -
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.099 / U:19.068 seconds]