SubjectRe: enable_ioapic_irq broken in arch/i386/kernel/irq.c
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> On 26 Apr 1998, Claus-Justus Heine wrote:
> >
> > Will check tomorrow, just too tired. For ftape it will most probably
> > work fine. Only problem could be for dunno what driver/hardware
> > combination that disable_irq() really discards interrupts.
>
> Yes. There's some #ifdef code there that should fix this, but it is

Yes, I saw it.

Mmmh. I'm writing this with a 2.1.98 + your irq patches running. So at
least it seems not to be completely broken.

Recompilation of the kernel tree with "make -j" completed successfully.

> currently disabled because there seem to be some problems with it.

I'll next hack the /proc filesystem to give me some statistics about
how often a disabled IRQ is ignored.

Instead of resending the IPI, couldn't we simply check each time an
interrupt occurs whether there are other interrupts pending for
previously disabled IRQs? At least the timer IRQ will occur
sufficiently often.

Are there principal problems with resending the IPI, or are there just
some obscure deadlocks where it isn't really clear where they come from?

I'll also check what happens if I dare to enable the "#if 0"-ed code.

BTW, I'm using a Gigabyte DLX mb with two PII/266. One scsi disk, one
ide disk, ide cdrom, network adapter with de4x5 driver.

Claus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.044 / U:0.176 seconds]