    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.98.. - kmod
    On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

    [snipped]

    > No, I'm primarily using egcs-1.0.2 w/ binutils-2.9.0.3. However, as a
    > control I rebuilt the kernel on my 486 box with 2.7.2.1 and binutils
    > 2.8.x.y. No difference. And, to clarify my problem report, the failure
    > to run rpc.mountd is happening on _both_ platforms.

    Okay - I'm going to take a shot at repeating this on my machine. I don't
    generally use NFS, so I wouldn't get bitten here.

    I'm not seeing the problem with console output though. I'm not quite sure
    how to tickle that one.

    > > Other thing - did the exact same setup work for 2.1.97 with Adam's patch?
    > > Only because the patch is exactly the same.
    >
    > Turns out that the lack of console output was also occurring w/ 2.1.97 +
    > Adam. I don't recall seeing problems with mountd, though.
    >
    > When you consider this wierdness along with Richard Henderson's report
    > about kmod not wanting to work in user space with all signals blocked,
    > there's an indication of underlying misbehavior. Now to find it..

    I certainly agree. The only comment about the signals is that I thought
    that the same signals mess-up could occur on both the original kmod AND
    the daemonless kmod on Alphas. So I'm not exactly sure if this is a
    problem with kmod, or some weird issue on the Alpha.

    We do need to take a look at this.

    Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
    "Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
    http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:30.568 seconds]