Subjectvery strange ppp problems
Hi there,
I hope someone can help me with this very strange, anoying, frustrating
problem with ppp. This problem occurs under the 2.0 and 2.1 series
kernel, with the current pppd. Basicly, some files refuse to download past
the 15-18k mark. They will go great, at 2.3-3.0k/sec then as soon as it
gets around 18k the download will just stop. It happens only on certain
files, for example the redhat boot disks, slack boot disks, icq
self-extracting executable at a 100% repetable failure rate. I run ipmasq
on this machine and if I am downloading one of the offending files via
ipmasq the same problem occures and a failed tcp/udp checksum accompinies
it at the time of failure. If I am going direct to this box no error
messages are logged but I still have the same problem. It is definitly the
files them selves, and not the hosts because no mater where I download
them from it will allways die, in the same place. Some workarounds I have
found for it include gziping the file and then downloading it or using scp
to get it over (similiar to rcp but encrypted with ssh).

Ok now for the setup of this box. I have a 33.6 modem, works great for
everything else. This is kernel 2.1.96 but I have had this problem in both
the stable and devel series. SMP is not compiled in.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide in helping me solve this
problem and of course thanks to everyone that makes linux the best
operating system out there :)

Thanks again,
cheers,
Tyler

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.067 / U:3.020 seconds]