    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: unicode (char as abstract data type)
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Alex Belits <>
    In newsgroup:
    > > So it is hard to impossible to gather info about language. User just
    > > will not want to tell you. User may even want to write Geek with 'G'
    > > in azbuka. Why not?
    > Information about language is always lost if there is no place to put a
    > label. Like, in Unicode.

    Read the standards! It says language labelling belongs IN A HIGHER
    LEVEL PROTOCOL. Incidentally, there is no existing standard for
    language labelling. Oh, and don't forget: language labelling is NOT
    the same as charset labelling; you seem to continually confuse the two.

    > Why? One can make labels as detailed about the language as necessary --
    > labeling assumes the extensibility of the labels set, and matching will
    > still work because label contains charset name. See MIME for example of
    > labeling (not for example of 7-bit encoding, it's unnecessary).

    MIME is a horrible example, because it doesn't let you switch
    languages in the middle of a document. It doesn't even begin to solve
    the problem.

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
    "To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.021 / U:61.172 seconds]