SubjectRe: Help me please with Netbios over IPX

webmaster@cap.ru said:
> Not all computers in out network have TCP/IP stack (it's impossible by
> important reasons), so I cannot use NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If there are
> any way to make my Linux box and Samba work with NetBEUI or run
> NetBIOS over IPX?

> Please tell me what to do.

Which way do you want it to work? Linux as a client, Linux as a server, or
both?

To use Linux as a server, you'll need to modify the Samba programs to support
NetBIOS over IPX. There's a fair amount of documentation linked from
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/TimothyDEvans/nbf.htm
which might help you.

To use Linux as a client too, you'll also have to modify the smbfs kernel
drivers, although that shouldn't be too difficult - if it's anything like
NCPFS (Netware filesystem) then the mount program opens and authenticates the
socket, then passes it to the kernel. The filesystem driver doesn't
necessarily know that it's an IPX socket instead of an IP socket.

Take a look at the recent changes to make NCPFS work over IP, and you'll see
how it can be done.

I can't find the spec for NetBIOS over IPX, but I presume it'll be very
similar to NetBIOS over TCP, as documented in RFC100[12]

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.039 / U:0.836 seconds]