SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)
Alex Belits writes:
> On 21 Apr 1998, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

>> You need to stuff _some_ tabels into the kernel,
>
> Why kernel?

It is the only way to deal with this:

/ ext2 koi-8
/nt ntfs UCS-2 Unicode
/usr iso9660 latin-1
/home coda UTF-8 Unicode

Giving the user different encodings in different directories is
simply _not_ acceptable. Your shell does not track filesystem
mount options and mount points, nor should it.

Thus, the kernel must convert to UCS-2 Unicode internally.
That can be sent to the user in many ways, but different users
may want to see different encodings. Why bother? It is bloat.
The kernel can let libc worry about converting to UTF-8, KOI-8,
or whatever.

[crap about "Charset labeling"]

Stop. You will _never_ use that on filenames. You can't argue
with something that you obviously will never use.

>> we do it that way until some better universal
>> standard comes along.
>>
>> Fair enough?
>
> "There is nothing more stable than temporary solutions".

Like your puny 8-bit encoding?

> Once the language information will be declared useless in
> multilingual documents, there will be no way to place it back,

You know that nobody plans to do that. You've been told many times
by many people. I can see why you'd want to convince people that
Unicode would have such a flaw though.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.026 / U:1.220 seconds]