SubjectRe: driver for Creative Labs DVD kits
I've started an attempt to work on one, but info is difficult to get
on the Ziva DS CODEC chip (which Alan had tried to do for video4linux
sometime back without success, but is very busy now with other
things). So far I've been having to do a little reverse-engineering
under Windows by maninipulating registers while playing a DVD. The
first goal is to play unencrypted non-MPEG data from a hard disk file,
then try to get the codec working, then CSS authentication, then to
play DVD Video and then DVD navigation. It really needs help, since
my time is limited (I'd setup a CVS repo or something, but I don't
have any server space).

I have the data books I could find on the chips (Vxp524, AnP82, Bt865,
etc) except for the Ziva DS MPEG-2 decoder, the Toshiba chip and one
or two more I think, though I wasn't aware of the Universal DVD URL
you give below (will check it out). I've got a driver structure
been spent working under Windows to figure out what is going on with
this card:

Apr 17 17:16:58 ztransform kernel: Creative Labs Encore Dxr2 DVD Decoder Driver Version 0.1
Apr 17 17:16:58 ztransform kernel: i2c: bus registered: encore
Apr 17 17:16:58 ztransform kernel: encore: Auravision VxP524 at I/O 0xe3000000-0xe30fffff, remapped to 0xc487d000-0xc497cfff, IRQ 11

So far, I've got the structure down and am working on controlling the
VxP524 to setup the VGA overlay and keys--though being at the end of
the semester for the next two weeks I am quite busy. I do think that
DVDs will become quite popular in the coming years though.

PS Gerd Knorr's I2C module (+ i2c.h) seems generic enough I would
think to be a separate config option it would seem.

Torgeir> I'm interested in a linux driver for these kits. The
Torgeir> Creative Labs DVD kit uses a card which is virtual
Torgeir> identical to a Auravision Universal Reference design, for
Torgeir> which complete specification is available.

Torgeir> Any information about work already done in this area is
Torgeir> very welcome.

Torgeir> Relevant information:

Torgeir> http://www.auravision.com/public/designs/uni_DVD.htm
Torgeir> http://www.auravision.com/public/products/524proc.htm
Torgeir> http://www.c-cube.com/products/zivads.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.065 / U:0.024 seconds]