SubjectRe: 2.1.91 swap performance: jerky.
Date
> not killed (returning segfault) but the machine hang as in the case
> before. I proved it running `swapoff -a; startx;` and then trying to start
> emacs. After that I had to reset.
>
> I suggest mm hackers to start the kernel with mem=30m or less.

Im running a mix of 4,8,16 and 32Mbyte boxes. On the two I've tested
(8 and 32Mb) 2.1.91 thrashes continually after a few minutes and then locks
up.

As far as more general stuff goes in 2.1.91 - from my own test set.

o Modular printing seems broken
o Parport hangs trying to setup my 5 parallel port machine - seems ok
on 1 or 2 port box.
o X crashes at random (mm I guess)
o sb panics on unload (I've sorted this one)
o uart401 panic on unload (also zapped)
o Incorrect settings make ad1848 panic (also zapped)
o Networking crashes under load (Dave was talking about some things being
broken by the spinlocks so fair enough) [TCP is now fast until it
dies tho 8)]
o sbpcd fails to mount file systems sometimes after its played music
o Bad CD's hang the sbpcd driver
o PPP paniced at random if nothing else gets it first.

IDE Disk, Buslogic SCSI, Console, Mouse, TV card and SCSI tape drive
appear happy. The thrashing to death makes it very hard to test the other
stuff too easily tho.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.094 / U:0.620 seconds]