SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)
Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
> We are stuck in a world with multiple character encodings.
> To convert, you generally need to go through UCS2.
> The kernel must convert for foreign filesystem support.

Why? This seems like a perfect job for userspace.

(ld preload, if nothing else).

> The library & apps must convert for many other reasons.

Exactly.

> If libc can use UCS2 to call the kernel, then the kernel
> only needs to perform half of the conversion and libc won't
> need to convert back to UCS2. Put more of it in user-space!

So are we now reworking tcpip so that the kernel interfaces for it to
use ucs2? Are you impressed with the performance and complexity win
you'll get translating every read and write for compatibility with
existing physical devices?

[Aside: If you're just talking about directory entries in a few file
systems, where's the performance win?]

--
Raul