    SubjectRe: 2.1.93..

    On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

    > "Leonard N. Zubkoff" writes:
    > > Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:13:13 +0200
    > > From: Martin Mares <>
    > >
    > > IMHO only few users have more than one SCSI controllers and I think we can
    > > ask them to specify BIOS number for the disk they want to boot from manually.
    > >
    > >I think you will find many more users with such a configuration than you
    > >anticipate.
    > Leonard is correct. In particular, there are two classes of users who have
    > multiple SCSI controllers: those who have large systems and usually have two
    > controllers of the same kind, and those who have a scanner or tape or something
    > that they want on a separate SCSI bus and usually have two different kinds
    > of controllers.

    Knowledge of the controller on which each disk is actually attached is
    useless in order to be fine with all relevant parties, I mean the BIOS
    and the user.

    In order to be fine with the BIOS you must know what disks are handled
    by BIOS and the assigned BIOS's number of each of them (80, 81, etc ...).

    If you are willing to be fine with the user's view of disks, you can
    allow users to affect identifiers or names to disks and register this
    information somewhere.
    The right place for this information is, IMO, the disk itself.

    You will be fine with driver guys at the same time since they will not
    have to worry about this issue anymore.

    I am thinking that if it was possible to read some information from the
    disks handled by BIOS using BIOS itself prior to attaching resources, we
    could implement smart things in this regard.

    BTW, my knowledge of BIOS things is near zero, so the above is just
    an idea and I donnot know how it can be implemented nor I'm sure
    it is feasible.
    I donnot use M$ O/Ses or just very rarely in order not to be fired by my
    employer :) and never try to understand how those things are working
    during the short period of time they seem to be so :), but I am feeling
    that M$ O/Ses apply something similar.
    Do they ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:14.972 seconds]