SubjectRe: another (!) new kmod.c
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> Another new kmod? Do we really need that..
> Well, this one (sales pitch mode on):
> * Is reentrant.
> * Is implemented using a very small extension of the stock 2.1.9x
> kmod: instead of having the kmod thread itself spawn modprobe
> and wait for it to finish (which is why it isn't reentrant),
> kmod spawns a "loader" thread, which in turns carries out all
> the necessary steps. In the mean time, kmod may pick up new work.
> * Doesn't bring any new problems, like having to fiddle with
> work-queues or having to close() file descriptors.
> * As of yesterday, it uses the CLONE_FS trick to allow it to work
> properly even if you boot via initrd. (As does the stock 2.1.96)
> * Has been running without a single hitch on my UP PC since Sunday.
> (Testers on SMP machines are most welcome.)
> * Is quite elegant, IMHO of course :-)
>
> Patch against vanilla 2.1.96 follows below.
> (If you've patched that bogus character on line 116,
> the diff will probably fail.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> /Mikael
Hmm, this bears a lot of resemblance to the patch that I was working on,
however, Adam Richter redid the kmod code in IMO a better way that does
not require the persistent kernel thread - and is quite small. He sent it
to Linus a day ago.
I'm surprised that you didn't see it.

-Greg Zornetzer
gaz@andrew.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.046 / U:1.568 seconds]