SubjectRe: beos-bootloader? (fwd)
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Richard Stallman wrote:

[snip]
> The idea of a deal like this is not ridiculous. After all the idea of
> the GNU GPL is that it is a lever to make other software free. If a
> deal makes other software free, it is doing the same job. If they are
> willing to accept a deal in which some part of their software becomes
> free software, that deal might be good for the community.
[SNIP]

> Also, it would make sense to ask, "Is this software useful for the
> free software community"? If it can't be of any use except on BeOS,
> then its usefulness to us is limited. And if the idea is that Be will
> make some program free, perhaps it is best just to insist "Make the
> program that uses our code free".

I imageine the best thing for all parties would be for Be to make their
kernel free.

Here's why:

A) Be's benifits
1) There's much more to an OS then the kernel. (Esp with Be)
So somone wanting to make a FreeBeos would not benifit from
just the kernel. They could just as easily start with Linux.
2) They could get faster security and bug fixes. And perhaps get
some outside code improvement.
3) They could ride the current free software press wave.
B) Linux community benifits
1) We could garnish some good ideas from their kernel.
2) We'd get good publicity.

Looks like they get the better end of the deal here anyplace.

Maby that's just a pipe dream tought..

I do however think it's nessassary for someone to goto BE and inspect the
source. Since C compilers differ, it can be tough to find copyed code..

Furthermore, even if they did not *copy* code in the kernel proper.. I'de
like to know what *ideas* they borrowed.. :) (i.e. they didn't just take
the code, but they took the concept)..

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:1.733 / U:1.372 seconds]