SubjectI can't get ppp to work on 2.1.XX kernels (Debian)
I hope you'll forgive me for wasting this bandwidth and the time of
developers who have made computing not only possible, but a joy. I've had
trouble with ppp with 2.1.XX kernels ever since early on in 2.1.X.
I have just compiled linux-2.1.96. As usual the compile went well. I
bailed out of the make-kpkg of debian, and just compiled as usual (another
issue---this has been a major headache w/ debian, but it's mostly
unrelated). It booted, as usual.

As usual, ppp wouldn't work. I've been through this many times. From early
on in 2.1.XX until now, only one kernel has worked for me---2.1.66 patched
with some tty patch. Different times, I get different messages, quite
distinct problems. The last few kernels I have gotten this message:

maan:~# ppp
/dev/ttyS3: Device or resource busy
maan:~# /usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This
could be because
the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the kernel is
not configured for PPP. See the README.linux file in the
ppp-2.3.3 distribution.

PPP is running as a module, and is installed in the kernel. When I rmmod
this module, then run ppp, the kernel daemon installs the module again,
marking it as "unused".

I'm running ppp 2.3.3, installed as a deb package, 2.3.3-5. Should I
download source for ppp and go through the make kernel procedure. I have
done this previously, and it didn't help.

I've previously received messages from a number of members of this list. I
get messages indicating it's a known bug, to upgrade ppp, which I have done,
but I haven't been able to get past this. I'm considering hardware, but
even on my previous machine I had similar problems. All the utilities
mentioned in Documentation/Changes are up to date except procinfo, which I
cannot find on the Debian (hamm) site.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.078 / U:0.320 seconds]