SubjectRe: RealAudio5.0 locks laptop

Hannum
(whoops, that was a fast answer)

while I immediately subscribed to your theory (I *know for sure* that
either in the isdn code or in conjunction with isdn machines tend to
lock hard. My 2.0.33 problems all seem to coincide with outgoing calls
on one isdn interface, but no proof up to now), I shut down the pcmcia
subsystem and being paranoid even removed the isdn card. But to no
avail, immediate lockup in the first second of playing sound... (I had a
.ra file locally on the hd)

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Hannu Savolainen wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Klaus Lichtenwalder wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > this is more for information and a question for tips on how to detect
> > the cause, as I don't want to send vague lockup information in this
> > list. The situation is as follows:
> >
> > Laptop P75, 32MB RAM, Linux2.0.33pre7 (but happened earlier
> > also), XFree 3.3.1 SVGA (cirrus 7543) 800x600 256col, isdn connection
> > via PCMCIA to the 'net. Sound is a module which was loaded by hand as
> > well as kerneld. Soundblaster 16.
> >
> > When I try to listen to some realaudio (+ video with 5.0) the machine
> > locks up hard. Looks to me like some timing problem. When I change
> > timing things by running under strace, the player runs for a longer time
> > till locking, somewhere in sigaction *if* strace gets the output fast
> > enough.
> I think this lockup is caused by some kind of design flaw in the ISDN
> card (or a driver bug). Few other users have reported similar problems
> when using some ISDN adapter (I recall it was made by Hayes) while playing
> sound. There are no problems as long as the ISDN adapter is not used at
> the same time with sound.

Klaus