SubjectRe: pre-2.1.96-1 panic: Inactive in scsi_request_queueable

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Keith Owens wrote:

> I cannot see how dropping io_request_lock in loopback can be race safe.
> The lock is protecting the base filesystem at the point the code goes
> recursive.

No. The lock is not protecting any filesystem, it is _only_ protecting the
actual IO request. It's quite ok to drop the lock, although I've told
people who are worried about latency issues to no worry about those yet,
as we have the bigger picture of correctness that is the first priority.

You can drop the lock whenever you don't access any io-request lists, and
when you aren't mucking around with any data structures (and aren't
caching any data structure info).

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.028 / U:0.876 seconds]