Subject2.1.95 stressed and surviving (so far)

It took a while but it finally happened. Had to place the backup machine
running 2.1.95 into service as an emergency backup for a remote system.
One of its UUCP clients dumped his weekly listserv output. Many messages,
each with many RCPT TO:'s. Anyhow, I notice the disk drive go about 100%
active while I was not logged on and decided to have a look.

At the console, I can type a command and it takes about 10 seconds per
character to echo back. Just did an uptime and it is showing a load of
about 30. It has not crashed but it is really pounding the disk.

Free is reporting:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 14640 13556 1084 5764 48 3648
-/+ buffers/cache: 9420 5220
Swap: 35836 21940 13896

Looks like I am getting tight on swap.

This would crash this box running 2.0.29 but I suspect that was more to do
with CPU heating than the kernel. I have not had a Sig 11 fault since I
changed the fan and added heatsink compound. It is taking a licking and so
far it has kept on ticking.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.

http://www.debian.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.029 / U:0.244 seconds]