Subject[OFFTOPIC] Re: "I am not receiving anything from VGER lists ?"
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> > From: Hans-Christoph Rohland <hans-christoph.rohland@sap-ag.de>
> > Christoph
> >
> > P.S: Am I the only one getting no more mails from linux-kernel or is
> > there a general problem with the list?

[snip]

> For the general info: We postmasters associated with these lists
> are rather trigger-happy. If your email bounces for ANY reason
> outside our sphere of direct influence, you are very likely to be
> removed from the lists.

<rant>
In fact, I reduced the delivery retry duration to 4 days, receive and send
message timeout to 1 hour. This brought the vger exploder queue down to
below 100 where it often used to exceed 400. Weekends in particular are a
bitch.

Of course I would want *everyone* subscribed to receive the linux lists
mail, but there's also some onus on the recipient to get his/her ISP to
get its act together. We (exploders / Linux list admins) are doing "it"
for the love of it (y'know, giving something back for the sake of the
'Net) and time is at times at a premium.

In SA the situation exists where the local telcom monopoly doesn't want to
play ball (yet) by connecting to the common peering points the other ISPs
have set up, with the result that TCP/IP traffic between the SAIX network
connected ISPs and "the others" is routed via the US. That, coupled with
SAIX's "service" levels, undercutting and ISP nepotism causes an
incredibly crappy connectivity with time-outs galore.

<jealous>
(Matti is of course connected to reputedly the best national backbone in
the world
</jealous>
and would probably wonder how other countries can live with dissimilar set
ups.)

I don't even want to mention the rest of Africa, but Malaysia deserves
mention - they are still in the 'Net stone age using smoke signalling.
</rant>

One day ...

Peter Kooiman | Voice : +27-12-672-5700/10
Paradigm Systems Technology | Fax : +27-12-663-4191/2
Pretoria, South Africa | Cell : +27-82-651-4985
Box 9984, HENNOPSMEER, 0046, RSA | e-mail : pko@paradigm-sa.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.051 / U:0.316 seconds]