SubjectRe: SMP Kernels and non-Intel processors
> I am getting damn tired of SMP=1 being the default.  If you have a
> broken MP BIOS (Tyan Tomcat IV), it sees a phantom second cpu which it
> fails to start. THEN, it tries to access the IO-APIC, which doesn't
> exist on a K6, and completely crashes the machine. Somebody, please
> change this so that if there is not an Intel processor, regardless if
> the mobo is SMP capable, DO NOT enable the SMP extras.

I've already put in a workaround to handle the case first problem - it should
say something like "CPU #1 not responding. Removing from cpu_present_map.",
and forget it was ever told about the second CPU.

The IO-APIC, as you rightly point out, should only be accessed if the processor
is GenuineIntel. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England. (+44) 0976 658355
Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk http://www.imladris.demon.co.uk
finger pgp@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.028 / U:2.056 seconds]