SubjectRe: I want my old SCSI order back :-)
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Dwight Hubbard wrote:

> Michel wrote:
>
> How about naming the devices by the label on the disk instead of how it's
> physically connected. I.E. a disk with a label of "foo" could be accessed as
> /dev/disk/foo in addition to the current naming convention of /dev/sdd. Then
> if the scsi ID changes or the disk gets hooked to a different controller it
> still is acessed as /dev/disk/foo.

I believe this has been discussed before, and it seemed to go nowhere,
despite it's usefulness.

The problem is, do you want the kernel to basically be creating symlinks
at bootup? Is that really the place? I'd prefer a user-space utility that
created those symlinks, which I could run *after* I boot.

As for booting up after shuffling drives, I think I would prefer that all
SCSI drivers take a command line option specifying the order. Something
like
ncr53c8xx=order:0a,1b,2c

I haven't used command-line options much myself, so this may not match the
standard format. But you get the idea.

So the system I envision works like this:

All applications refer to /dev/disk/<LabelName>, which are just
symlinks to the correct /dev/s??
If I do something to change the order, at bootup I can specify the
new order to consider the drives in.
I run a userspace app that fixes the /dev/disk links to whatever
is correct.

This has a few problems. You certainly would have to reboot immediately
after changing those links, or most apps won't work. But it keeps the
naming issue out of the kernel, and having ordering-specifiers in the SCSI
drivers is probably not a bad thing.

--
Chris Arguin | "...All we had were Zeros and Ones -- And
Chris.Arguin@unh.edu | sometimes we didn't even have Ones."